A team called
lab-assistants can be created within an organization to give members of the team the ability to administer the organization and its courses on Learning Lab. Using the Lab Assistants team allows an organization owner to delegate Learning Lab functions to other members of their organization, without the need to make them organization owners.
For example: Marty is contracted to write courses for @HillValley. He's not an owner of @HillValley because that would give him access to code considered trade secrets. Doc Brown navigates to the @HillValley organization on GitHub, creates a new team called
lab-assistants, adds Marty as a member, and then enables the Lab Assistants team on Learning Lab. Marty can now write courses, but has no access to any new repositories in the organization.
Abilities of Lab Assistants
Members of the Lab Assistants team have the same level of access as owners of the organization.
Registering a new Lab Assistants team
To register a new Lab Assistants team on Learning Lab, perform the following:
- Access the Admin page for your organization by appending
/admin to the URL of your Learning Lab site
- Click Lab Assistants
- Click Create a Lab Assistants team
- Click OK to confirm creating and automatically enabling the team
- This will create a new team on GitHub named
lab-assistants. Feel free to edit your team's description, select the appropriate parent team, and edit its visibility.
- As you would for any other team on GitHub, add members to the team.
- Return to the Lab Assistants page on Learning Lab to view your enabled team and its members
You can find more information about teams on GitHub in About teams.