Courses can be owned by organizations or individuals. Owners of a course will be able to:
- see the course's dashboard
- toggle the course's visibility
- synchronize the course and the template repo
A course's owner is evident in its URL. For example, Introduction to HTML is accessible at
https://lab.github.com/githubtraining/introduction-to-html, so it is owned by the
We will refer to this URL using the shortened format
Course ownership by individuals
When an individual owns a course, only that person will be able to see the course's dashboard on Learning Lab.
Course ownership by organizations
When an organization owns a course, owners of the GitHub organization, and any members of the Lab Assistants team team within that organization, will see the course's dashboard on Learning Lab.
Additionally, organizations that have purchased Learning Lab have the option to create private courses. A private course:
- is only visible to members of the chosen organization
- when joined by a learner, will create private learner repositories
- when joined by a learner, will create learner repositories only inside of the chosen organization